A lot of the times, we just donate a bit of money and move on. Do we pause and think if we can do something to make sure that our charity can have a long-lasting impact that can potentially change someones life?
To ensure that each Ringgit donated for charity makes a maximum impact, Al-Khaadem (AK) and SuperThinkers (ST) have joined forces since October 2019 under the banner of Skuad Prihatin Kemiskinan (SPK). Combining the strengths and experiences of ST and AK, SPK’s mission is to move families away from poverty to economic self-sufficiency. SPK also aims to empower the vulnerable and needy with the necessary skills to re-enter society and benefit their own families and community as a whole. By empowering these individuals within their respective communities, this will result in a positive impact on the overall well being of neighbourhoods and at the same time offer opportunities to further contribute in uplifting the prosperity of the entire nation.
So how can this vision be fulfilled?
Instead of giving one off donations, SPK tackles the root cause of problems affecting poor households and neighbourhoods. They visit the poor and interact with them to understand their challenges and concerns. Backed by data, SPK then mobilise targeted and sustainable solutions for assistance to empower the disadvantaged families to stand on their own feet.
To expand the opportunities available to the poor, SPK’s solutions include:
• helping the disadvantaged access upskilling and training programmes
• provide support for sustainable income generation, by helping the poor to access jobs and start up micro-enterprise opportunities
• ensuring that children go to school and have access to tutoring, as educational mobility is key to a better future
• building up the informal neighbourhood and community networks that surround and support low-income people
• articulating and advocating issues faced to the Government and local authorities to strengthen institutional and systemic support